Impact Area Value Calculator
Mining is not a temporary land use, and to date, mining has largely externalized (written off) most environmental costs; especially those outside the mine property.
The Impact Area Value (IAV) calculator is one method to account for these costs.
The Calculator will ask you some specifics on the mine. Click the “?” by each field to get the pop-up help window.
- Company Name
- Project Name
- Project Footprint (hectares)
- Project Impact Footprint (hectares – default set to 4x Project Footprint, but you can insert your own)
- Natural Area Value – $ per hectare of natural land in jurisdiction
- Company Profile – we scale from 1 (high) to 4 (poor)
- TSF (tailings storage facility) Dam Design – 4 types
- TSF Liner Type – scale of 1 -3
- Precipitation Zone – scale of 1 to 5 (British Columbia)
- Seismic Zone – scale of 1 to 5 (British Columbia)
- Water Bodies – surface area of water bodies affected by the mine
The Calculator will display 3 color bar graphs indicating the Project Footprint, Project Impact Footprint, and Water Body areas affected.
Below the bar graphs is the Impact Area Value/cost of the mine in dollars ($).
At the bottom is the sliding scale which has a Base Risk setting of 10.8% (see pages 19 – 21 of “Impact Area Value II: The Formula”). The IAV will place your mine somewhere along this scale, depending on the input parameters and asses the mine’s risk as either “Very Low” “Low” “Medium” “High” or “Very High”.
Please forward any comments or questions to firstname.lastname@example.org